Monday, March 21, 2011

WORK SMART

As past posts have described, I am trying to work smarter not harder. I have found when trying to work smarter you have to say the word "NO." kind of a lot.

In the past I have hated saying this word for many reasons. Fear of disappointment/hurting feelings/making people feel like I don't care about them/ (and my favorite) being a BAD friend. Which is something I was told when I was little and sadly took it to heart.

Here are the reasons I should say "NO."

By saying "NO" I am able to place healthy boundaries between work and home. (I.e. working past or before allotted time for appointments.)
By saying "no" I am exercising my free agency to choose what I will, and will not do with my time. Therefore respecting myself. In turn able to fully recharge, and be more capable of serving others.
By saying "No" I am not spread so thin that I take it out on those I love the most. ( Isn't it funny that we choose the ones that support us best to fall apart on?)

So here is my practice for saying "No" today.

Client calls
Client- Hilaree, Can I change my appointment to a morning appointment?
(I only work at night now.)
Me- No
" a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." -Gma Shauna

The End!

Well, I was very diplomatic, but you get the gist.

Anyway my 2 cents for the day. Try saying 'NO' sometime, you might love it/hate it. Whatever, its good for you. I can see that it's good for me and that makes me 'Happy'

Love,
Hil


1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I can totally relate to this! Working in the industry we do is tricky with setting boundaries, especially with those particular clients (or let's be honest, bosses) who like to ask little extras of you.. little extras all the time. I love the quote by your grandma. I've gotta start using that one.

    ReplyDelete